I did something drastic today. I cut about 4 minutes of music from the first movement of my symphony.
One thing I learned from writing my novel, is that deletion is sometimes your friend. By deleting, you are able to bring out what is really important.
The goal is the piece is somewhat of a mixture of impressionistic, Debussy-like, ethereal sounds mixed with the fullness of a Wagnerian brass. Ninety percent of what I’d written fell into this. The middle of the 1st movement didn’t. It was regular, repetitive, and predictable. It didn’t fit in with the rest of the music. I like it and could use it for another piece, but not this one.
The section was intended to be representative of the sea, but I realized that the entire 4th movement is a sea voyage, that this section would be redundant.
Plus, a section that featured Contrabass Saxophone and Steel Drums felt weird.